Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Among the religious philosophies of the world, I can discover no completely universal answer to my question, "How am I to live with meaning and authenticity?"  However, the three responses that seem to come nearest are these: human beings are invited to love, to render service to their fellows, and to pursue the acquisition of knowledge...These three answers to my question resonate within; they "feel" true instinctively, like worthy answers.  Numerous prophetic figures have given varying emphases to these goals and have themselves pursued them with varying degrees of success.

Now through all of the conflicting claims and bewildering confusion on the planet earth, one knwn thing completely captures my soul and imagination as an actual, historical incarnation of "meaningful and authentic existence"--and that "thing" is Christ.

-Philip L. Barlow, "The Uniquely True Church" (pg 244-245) A Thoughtful Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment