Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I do not believe the crucial issue is finally, "Will I be sitting in the correct pew when the archangel sounds his trump?"  Rather, I believe God sent me to earth to respond freely, with faith, to the conditions of a sometimes dark and difficult world.  My choices here can either promote ("save") or inhibit ("damn") my progress and well-being.  I believe my highest response to these conditions is to learn something about myself, to learn to love blindly, to serve my fellow beings, to acquire a kind of wisdom that is apparently best communicated through human experience.  I feel as though I am invited by a spirit above me to follow what light I am given, to live productively and authentically, with honor and vigor.

-Philip L. Barlow, "The Uniquely True Church" (pg 256) A Thoughtful Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment