Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I think it is a mistake to attempt to elevate religion by disparaging reason.  I believe my mind to be more a friend than a foe to my spirit, and that God gave me my intellect in the same sense that He gave me my soul.  I believe that "spirit" and "faith" and "revelation" and "reason" can be related, compatible terms.  Joseph Smith implied as much when he said that his revelatory experiences often consisted of receiving "sudden strokes of ideas" from the Spirit and that the "Holy Ghost has no other effect than pure intelligence."  Although it is of course possible to err by intellectual arrogance or to misunderstand rationality as the only important kind of itelligence, I do not believe that it is possible to think too well.  Even if one feels himself to have recieved inspiration, a mature faith ought to be a thoughtful faith.

-Philip L. Barlow, "The Uniquely True Church" (pg 239) A Thoughtful Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment